Sunday, April 06, 2008

Conference Weekend

Conference is a good excuse to get off work early. Especially when you are going to Utah to see family, Mark the Shark, and also have Priesthood tickets.

I was a general grump on the trip down. Large lunch, too much computer research and a 3:30 pm departure turned me into a grump. Nobody was funny. No one had anything good to say. Four hours of driving, humph. Get me out of this car.

Saturday was much better. In the morning we visited Mark and Andrea for breakfast at Andrea's apartment. They are just a cute little engaged couple. Check out their pictures at

After the first Saturday session, I had scheduled for Jessi and I to visit the JRCLS law luncheon at the Joseph Smith Memorial Building. But driving into SLC downtown at conference time is ridiculous. So we stopped at a UTA shuttle train station and rode to Temple Square.

I really shouldn't have told Jessi and just about everyone else that a general authority was probably speaking at the luncheon. I think I used the word "probably" when explaining it to people, but I don't think Jessi did. So, a whole bunch of people thought we were going to some big thing (well so did I, actually).

It turned out to be just another big shmooze-fest put on by BYU Law School. Oh sure, there were a few judges and professors, but mostly law students and alumni were there. Once Jessi realized that no general authority would be speaking, I realized that I had turned a few hors d' oeuvres into a really impressive-sounding hot-shot lunch party. Jessi just laughed at me. I felt like "baa-ing" like a sheep. You know those times when you are really glad you are married to your date? This was one of those times.

We took our cheesy picture in front of the Temple (above), and headed back to our car.

I came back with Les, Jared and Chandler and attended the Priesthood Session. We had spectacular seats. I mean, some of the best, I think. We were close enough to see the expressions on the general authorities' faces as they spoke. It is really something that everyone should have the opportunity to experience. Twenty-thousand plus Priesthood holders in one room. During the opening prayer, I could have sworn we had all caught whooping cough or something. When 20,000+ men are completely quiet, all you can hear is the prayer, and a WHOLE bunch of people clearing their throats.

And if you've never seen President Monson wiggle his ears, you missed out. It was hilarious.

So very impressive and spiritual. Twelve-year old deacons taking copious notes. Fathers and sons together receiving guidance at the feet of the prophets. My favorite talk was by President Eyring about the oath and covenant of the Priesthood. Beautiful music. I enjoyed every minute of it.

We watched the Sunday sessions at Jessi's brother's house in Orem. It was a wonderful Conference weekend.


Andrea W. said...

Sorry your luncheon was a let-down. But, I do like the picture, I think it's great. :-D

Scott and Analia Olson Family said...

Hi Jesse! Do you remember me? Analia Olson? It has been so long. YOu are now in Idaho, and we were in Id and now....back in CT! Good to find you!